Autore Topic: Chinese Democracy: RECENSIONI della STAMPA  (Letto 51185 volte)

Garth_Farmer

• Visitatore
Re: Chinese Democracy: RECENSIONI della STAMPA
« Risposta #10 il: 11 Novembre 2008, 14:11:pm »
fonte: Los Angeles Times
autore: Todd Martens
data: 17 ottobre 2008

"More than a decade in the making, Guns N' Roses' "Chinese Democracy" seems as if it's about to transition from being a punchline to a reality. The long-awaited, much-delayed and recently leaked album is expected on retail shelves at the end of November, barring any unexpected, last-minute delays.

It's a retail exclusive, according to Billboard, meaning the album will be available first at Best Buy, and then only at that the outlets that choose to pick up its stock from the big box retailer. It also means that those awaiting news on the album will probably be checking this Best Buy page as much, or more, than any artist or label website.

In fact, there's no mention of the album on the news pages of either of the aforementioned sites, this despite the fact that you can pre-order the 14-song set for $13.99 from Best Buy. For now, it looks as if at least some mystery will continue to surround "Chinese Democracy." While Billboard reported that the album would be released on Sunday, Nov. 23, Best Buy is listing the release date as Tuesday, Nov. 25.

But relax, it does appear to exist. The retailer has gone so far as to post cover art from the album, which was picked up earlier this week by sites such as Blabbermouth and Stereogum, among others, and pasted up above. Although it doesn't look like that's the last of the art to be revealed, as Best Buy is selling another version of the CD with an alternative cover, of which an image is not yet available.

But, really, who cares about the art -- how does this thing sound?

Is it possible for an album, one that most people thought would never actually be released, to live up to its insane hype? Will the backstory of its release prove to be more interesting than the actual release? Was it worth it, to have a federal agent track down Kevin Cogill, who leaked songs from "Chinese Democracy"? Will fans really be interested in an album that was recorded by Axl Rose and a rotating cast of musicians, and lacks original guitarist Slash and bassist Duff McKagan?

Well, despite not yet being released, a verdict appears to be in. As of late Thursday night, more than 30 reviews of the album have been posted on the Best Buy website. Here's a sampling of what some are saying, cut, pasted and unedited direct from the Best Buy site:

User Nachbar compares "Chinese Democracy" to the psychedelic classic rock of Pink Flyod, and sees the album as a sort of pop-culture rescue device. "In a day where Gwen Stefani and Fall Out Boy can dominate the charts, Axl throws us a much-needed life preserver. Each song, to me, is incredible. 1-14, each track takes you on a little journey, and to me is the closest thing to listening to "Dark Side of the Moon" as I have ever gotten, in terms of a complete album."

User oneAXLinamillion believes the album will render other pop stars obsolete, listing the only con for the album being "less time" to listen to Rihanna. oneAXLinamillion adds, "Many fans (me included) had the chance to listen to many demos (leaks). Most of them are on the record and they are all "epicly" outstanding.That's what the entire music world needed."

User gnrshades is a bit more fair. "Pros: power ballads. Cons: techno influence."

User jarmo wants nothing to do with "Chinese Democracy," giving it one star, and seems unable to forgive Rose for using the Guns N' Roses name without the original line-up. "It's not right that Axl Rose is using the GNR name to promote his solo albums," jarno writes.

User referee11 says to skip it, and offers what he or she believes are some better alternatives than Guns N' Roses. Writes referee11, "i've been a fan of GNR since the appetite days, and have been following the development of chinese democracy since at least 2003. i've heard all but three of the tracks on chinese democracy, and must say that the music is disappointing and not worth the wait. it pales in comparison to earlier GNR, and cannot compare to current artists like Radiohead who are really pushing the boundaries of pop music."

User bassetlover lashes out at other Best Buy shoppers for giving the album a low star rating prior to its release, and urges people to purchase it before reviewing it. "Come on people, stop bashing this album before it's even out. So what if it's not the old Guns and Roses! You need to get over it! Axl is a very talented man. This album is going to be awesome. I have heard most of the tracks and they are great. At least wait and buy the album before bashing it."

It should be noted, however, that bassetlover has given "Chinese Democracy" five stars.

User barcheddy is skeptical, but believes "Chinese Democracy" will usher in a new era of heavy metal, even though the shopper admits some songs aren't to his or her liking. "Not crazy about Rhiad and Catcher in the Rye but it's very possible that these tunes will grow on me over time. After all, I hated the Spaghetti Incident when it first came out, but if C.D. is at least on par with that effort I will lose my mind! I'm obviously partial here, but I really feel that once these singles hit the airwaves, rock music as we know it will be changed forever. Just like the late 80's when it all began. Long live GNR!"

User Tic9 thinks the "Chinese Democracy" leaks were so good, there will be no need to ever purchase another album after this comes out. "So I haven't technically bought it yet, but hearing the leaks and such have been enough to prove this as a superior album. Save for Death Magnetic it will be the first CD I've bought since the '90s, perhaps the last. Several of the songs are absolutely stellar."

User Weedwacker is bummed the album doesn't have medicinal powers, and seems skeptical it will even come out. "Cons: Doesn't cure cancer. May not actually exist ... The release of this album may very well rupture the very fabric of space and time and set off a cataclysmic chain of events eventually causing the universe to collapse in on itself. Hopefully, GnR fans will get a full listen before we are erased from existence. Repent, my friends. The end is near."

But hey, even if the world does implode, it sounds like you'll be able to get some free soda out of this whole deal. Earlier this year, Dr. Pepper pledged to give a free can of the soft drink to everyone in America if the album ever came out."

Offline Vincent_Sega

• Gunner
  • Credibilità: -2
  • Mentre la notte scendeva stellata, stellata....
« Risposta #11 il: 11 Novembre 2008, 14:15:pm »
Ufficialmente è nei Guns N' Roses. L'articolo della Orlando che ho postato difatti contiene una inesattezza a riguardo.

era esattamente quel che volevo far notare col mio post, ma era doveroso precisarlo, non tutti possono sapere la questione NIN ed il resto.

Garth_Farmer

• Visitatore
« Risposta #12 il: 11 Novembre 2008, 14:19:pm »
fonte: IGM.com .... link: http://music.ign.com/articles/910/910606p1.html
autore: Spence D.
data: 16 settembre 2008

NOTA DI FARMER: questa parla espressamete di una singola canzone...

"Guns N' Roses - "Shackler's Revenge" Review Axl takes a trip into hyper industrio pop metal.

September 16, 2008 - The hype and circumstance surrounding the eventual release of Chinese Democracy is so thick you'd need a chainsaw dosed in napalm, lit on fire, and buzzing at 33,000 RPM just to cut through it.

Axl Rose's charge to resurrect the GnR name in modern times has been plagued by the worst of all demons: delay. For whatever reasons Rose has yet to make good on his promise to release a new GnR album, other than give us a title, a few start-and-stop live shows, and "Shackler's Revenge," the first "official" release from his camp. Keep in mind that even though Rose has jumped on the Rock Bandwagon, he still has yet to announce an official release date for the album (which by all rumored accounts is finished).

Honestly it's tough to review "Shackler's Revenge" without slipping into a slight Op/Ed mode. Furthermore, it's nigh impossible to listen to the "new" GnR and not compare it to the "old" GnR. If Axl didn't want the comparisons he should have jettisoned the name and started fresh (but c'mon, GnR is nothing more than a b(r)and at this stage of the game anyway. Besides since Coke survived the whole "New" versus "Classic" debacle, chances are Rose will ride this one out as well).

To put aside all the baggage that comes with the names Axl Rose and Guns n' Roses—if only for a moment--and judge the track on a purely musical platform, "Shackler's Revenge" sounds unforgettably dated. The core elements of the track sound as if they have been culled from early NIN, pre-Mechanical Animals Manson, and leftovers from the short-lived Nu Metal push of the late '90s. Toss in some Motley Crue circa Dr. Feelgood and some pop hooks that sound like think Bon Jovi on steroids and you've got the nuts and bolts of the song. It's rife with sorely outdated and somewhat cliché musical ideas; it sounds as if it were recorded 10 years ago, locked away in a vault, and just recently dusted off.

Driving detuned skirl licks and thickly treated wah-wah rhythm guitar kick start the whole affair. Axl's voice starts off in a low Stygian stepchild mumble that eventually fades out to a shell of his former caterwaul greatness. His voice growls, careens, and weaves around the speedball cadence of the music, grinding to the turgid beat with delayed frenzy. More often than not his trademark timbre gets buried underneath a wall of industrial tinged aural slop. Since this is a GnR track and guitar has always been at the core of any good GnR song, there is the requisite solo, albeit a brief one. Tucked into the middle of the track it's a short burst of crystalline riffage that ultimately feels just as generic as the rest of the song itself.

Despite the routine nature of "Shackler's Revenge", repeated listens eventually find the track soaking into your pores, but only because of its innocuous intent. This is meth fueled ear candy for the ADHD set and nothing more.

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that "Shackler's Revenge" will be a hit on commercial radio; it's the kind of neo-generic metal-cum-industrial-cum-modern rock mash-up that the general populace has come to embrace with open arms these days (if only because that's all they're being offered on a mass scale). Additionally, at a mere 3:43 running length, it's been time-tailored perfectly for FM radio's short attention span programming style.

What made early GnR so seminal was that their music was born out of sense of desperation, depravity, and hunger (not to mention the band's well known battle with heroin and other substances). There was an urgency to the music that made it connect with the masses and still makes it relevant to this day (this is the case with all lasting music, really). And yes there was Slash, a bona fide axe slayer who embodied the sheer essence of rock 'n roll at a time when most folks had forgotten what it meant to be a rock and roll musician.

In stark contrast "Shackler's Revenge" reeks of affluence, sounding more like a one-time wizard of rock playing with ProTools and faceless hired guns in his bedroom palace, creating a song that will ultimately be a disposable hit without any legs to stand on. It's the sound of a man who no longer battles addiction, flirts with Victoria's Secret models, and plays Jagger to Slash's Richards. Instead it's the sound of a musical recluse who has lost touch with the ideals and emotions of his core audience. To this end "Shackler's Revenge" is ultimately a sad, sad song.

Once upon a time GnR were the leaders of the pack, with other bands emulating their style and sound. Now it just sounds as if Axl is grasping at musical straws. After making fans wait for more than a decade for new material, to unleash a song that sounds this slapped together is a travesty. Shouldn't the fans deserve more? After all they're the ones who made Axl famous in the first place."

Offline Nadia

• 2002-2012
  • Gunner
  • Credibilità: 25
  • Anouk saluta i gobbi
    • Slash
    • Contro la Reunion
« Risposta #13 il: 11 Novembre 2008, 14:21:pm »
Quello del L.A times usa SOLO review di utenti scritte su Best-Buy. Non e' una review del giornale.

Cercate solo reviews dell "ALBUM" non dei singoli. Se non ci sono ASPETTATE --

PS: rimosso il post di Chopin che non e' una review
« Ultima modifica: 11 Novembre 2008, 14:23:pm da Nadia »

Garth_Farmer

• Visitatore
« Risposta #14 il: 11 Novembre 2008, 14:21:pm »
Quello del L.A times usa SOLO review di utenti scritte su Best-Buy. Non e' una review del giornale.

Grazie per la segnalazione...

Offline Nadia

• 2002-2012
  • Gunner
  • Credibilità: 25
  • Anouk saluta i gobbi
    • Slash
    • Contro la Reunion
« Risposta #15 il: 11 Novembre 2008, 14:25:pm »
Grazie per la segnalazione...

Grazie a te!

Offline Rob

• Gunner
  • Credibilità: -8
  • "move, move... there's a fuckin' car" 5/6/2006
    • Axl
    • Neutrale
« Risposta #16 il: 11 Novembre 2008, 21:16:pm »
Chinese Democracy gets glowing review

Rolling Stone magazine has dished out four-and-a-half stars in a glowing review of Chinese Democracy - the long-awaited new album by controversial rock band Guns N' Roses.

The album, which has taken front man Axl Rose 13 years to record and a rumoured $13 million to make, is due for release in New Zealand on November 24.

An early review posted on Rolling Stone's website was overwhelmingly positive.

Reviewer David Fricke said Democracy was a "great, audacious, unhinged and uncompromising hard-rock record".

"If Rose ever had a moment's doubt or repentance over what Chinese Democracy has cost him ... he left no room for it in these 14 songs."

Fricke said most of the songs go through "multiple U-turns in personality" and said the album was a "convulsive single disc of supershred guitars, orchestral fanfares, hip-hop electronics, metallic tabernacle choirs and Axl Rose's still-virile, rusted-siren singing".

He said the best tracks were IRS, Scraped, There Was A Time and Street of Dreams.

Rose is the only original member left in the band, and Democracy is the studio follow-up to 1991's Use Your Illusion I & II.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4757650a1860.html

Offline Makaveli

• Gunner
  • Credibilità: 8
    • Slash
    • Pro Reunion
« Risposta #17 il: 12 Novembre 2008, 10:46:am »
recensione (oddio) del the guardian:

Citazione
Imagine if 'Chinese Democracy' had never come to pass. Axl Rose would have retained an air of Machiavellian mystery and we would've remained complicit fall guys for the best joke played on the music industry. Now that this half-cocked hard rock anachronism is here, the only laughs are unintentional. Axl: you blew it.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2008/nov/09/guns-roses-axl-chinese-democracy

Offline Rob

• Gunner
    • Axl
    • Neutrale
« Risposta #18 il: 13 Novembre 2008, 12:21:pm »
SUNDAY MERCURY - STEVE WOLLASTON

I first started listening to Guns and Roses in 1987, my obsession with their music is just as strong now as it was when I was a teenager listening to Appetite For Destruction for the first time.

I have since 1987 trailed the band, their ups and downs, the on-going sagas and the solo projects and waited patiently for Chinese Democracy to arrive.

Some said it never would, the real fans knew different, they saw beyond the joke, I have heard the bootlegs, we all have and they are in some cases truly stunning tracks.

I have seen the raw power of the new tracks come into their own when played live, songs like Madagascaar and There Was a Time stand shoulder to shoulder with previous epics like Estranged and November Rain, If The World and Prostitute show a more poignant and thoughtful side to the music and indeed Rose's songwriting.

I write this on the back of unfinished gems that I have seen on the Internet, I don't condone people leaking tracks but they have certainly made me that little bit more eager to add this to my collection.

The release of Chinese Democracy the single has happened quite quickly and taken people by surprise, some have slated it, others are impressed - now we have heard the finished version of this track it will be interesting to see how polished the others sound.

It doesn't matter what Guns and Roses release, the reaction will be the same, many people won't see beyond the media circus surrounding the release and will wonder what all the fuss is about. Others will expect it to be the greatest album of all time - it's not, but I think people will be surprised at just how good it is.

Of course Slash, Duff, Izzy on the album would have been the dream ticket but that won't happen, didn't happen and isn't an issue... the one mistake Axl Rose made was not launching this as a solo project, he would have had less abuse - but he worked hard to build the name, he owns it, so why not?

My view is simple, listen to the album two or three times and I reckon you will be impressed, if you were a fan before I think you will be a fan now. The music is a mature progression from Use Your Illusion and has a depth and variety that certainly no other artist has tried to create in recent times, to record an album over 13 years and it not sound dated is an art in itself!

I just can't wait to hear all those b-sides and studio tracks that didn't make the grade over the 13-year selection period!

Offline Rob

• Gunner
    • Axl
    • Neutrale
« Risposta #19 il: 14 Novembre 2008, 19:33:pm »
Chinese Democracy is alive and well: a song by song review of the new Guns N' Roses album

The new record from Guns N' Roses is a scorcher. Hard to believe I'm actually writing these words, but Guns N' Roses is back. Axl Rose rules and his new 14 tracks are going to make lots of non-believers freak out. Thursday, we had a sneak preview of the record and man oh man, the first single Chinese Democracy does not indicate the direction of the album: the thing is vintage GNR, and makes you think that Slash, Duff and Izzy were little more than well-dressed sidemen. We'll have a full review posted on Tuesday, but after giving this thing a test drive, let no man question the genius of Axl -- Guns N' Roses, the best album of 2008? Could very well be. Rock on. 

• Chinese Democracy  -- This song is terrible. The over-dubbed Axl vocals are grating and the title is horrid, this is what made people believe the record would blow.

• Shackler's Revenge – Vintage Appetite. Play this song for any GNR fan and I guarantee they will love it. Huge, huge monster riffs.

• Better -- The best song on the record? Could be. You can almost hear Duff in the background and it has that sweeping optimism of Rocket Queen. This is Axl doing his sensitive thug thing, hard rock has really sounded this good.

• Street of Dreams -- The album's November Rain. Axl on the piano, and that voice: Still better than anything on the radio today. The Killers? Snow Patrol? Feist? Man, listening to this, you can almost see the hurricane in the video. The wedding with Erin Everly and Slash with his top hat and no shirt? Here's some lyrics: "I never wanted you to be so full of anger/I never wanted you to be someone else."

• If the World -- A groovy track with a Blaxploitation monster guitar riff. Sounds like Heavy Metal Shaft.

• There Was a Time -- The record's first cocaine reference, at seven minutes this song changes tones more times than a 17-year-old girl's cell phone.

• Catcher N' the Rye -- Embarrassing title. Pretty lame song.

• Scraped -- This has Axl sort of rapping with himself and is pretty lame. Additionally, on the album's credits there are seven people credited with "additional Pro Tools."

• Riad N' the Bedouins -- This sounds like Alice in Chains, who, like Weezer, is thanked in the album's liner notes. Why does Axl thank Weezer? Who knows. But maybe Spike Jonze could make a video for this song.

• Sorry -- Another awesome ballad. This record is so, so good. Here's some lyrics: "You don't know why I never give in/To hell with the pressure/I'm not caving in."

• I.R.S. -- Great rock n' roll song. Axl has one of the best voices of all-time. At three minutes, the song turns into a juggernaut.

• Madagascar -- This represents both the best and worst of Axl. Why is he sampling Martin Luther King? The song is pretty straight-forward awesome, but Axl makes it over-blown. Love the ambition. Love the song. But clearances for MLK - as well as Braveheart and David Fincher's Seven - probably are one of the inconsequential additions that kept this really great record from coming out for so long.

• This I Love -- Such a great Axl piano ballad, and again at 3-minutes in it becomes a rock n' roll anthem. The Axl Rose high voice is better than anyone from Thom Yorke to Chris Martin. And how much better is Guns N' Roses than either of those whimpy, navel-gazing British bands?

• Prostitute -- Again, echoes of Rocket Queen, probably the best song off Appetite for Destruction.

OK: this record is no Appetite, although we only got a single listen and will write more when the disc is sent out for a proper review. Mr. Brownstone? Welcome to the Jungle? Sweet Child? For men of a certain age, those songs are as ingrained in our consciousness as Family Ties, 21 Jump Street, Alf and Arsenio Hall. I love this new Guns N' Roses record. And if you remember when video music channels actually played music videos, you probably will, too. 

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/theampersand/archive/2008/11/14/chinese-democracy-is-alive-and-well.aspx